Tuesday, May 27, 2008

A need to vent

Hi Everybody!

I need to vent a little disappointment about our scholastic art show.
Understanding that this is the first time we attempt such a project, I expected some difficulties and did not plan on a huge response.
What I did not expect was that out of six school districts and five private schools that I contacted, only one school district even responded to my invitation to participate in the show.

I do have to say that the two art teachers that responded were wonderful. They worked with me on short notice, understood my lack of experience in the field and appreciated the spirit of the initiative. They offered great encouragement and suggestions for next year show. So, once again a great THANK YOU!!! goes to Mr Ritter and Mrs Lowry. A Thank you! is also due to Mr Fetterman who, with very short notice, approved a flyer advertising the show and allowed it to be sent home with each elementary student.

From the scarcity of response from the schools officials (except for the two schools that participated, nobody even bothered answering my e-mails!), I should have have deduced a lack of interest from the students and their families. And I did, a little. I just thought that the families of the students who had works in the show would come and enjoy the free refreshments at the opening reception! Or at least be interested in finding out how their children placed!

I think I did a decent job at advertising. Flyers were posted at several town businesses, and ad was placed in the local newspaper, it was advertised in our newsletter, website, and in our marquee. Flyers were sent home with all the elementary school students.... and yet, NOBODY showed up at the reception!

Well, now that I vented I will retrace my steps and see what I did wrong and how I can improve. I can promise you all that there will be a second scholastic art show next year, even if there is only one child interested in it! Of course I could not let down the people who helped put together this year's show, especially the students that participated!
One thing I know for sure I will do differently will be to advertise for the students to enter works individually, so if their schools chose not to participate, the students will be able to enter their works in the show anyway!

Peace,

Chiara

No comments:

Post a Comment